Monday, March 24, 2014

Intro to History of Photography


Previous to these presentations, I really did not have a lot of knowledge regarding the history of photography.  Not only did my partner and I have a chance to work hands on with designing a poster, we learned interesting information about photographers and developments in the photography world.  While other art forms such as drawing, painting and sculpting have been around basically since humans existed, photography developed only with important advancements in technology. By some it was not regarded as a legitimate art form.  I learned that Alfred Stieglitz was instrumental in making it an appreciated form of art. A photographer that especially intrigued me while constructing was Sally Mann.  I learned a lot about her work and the controversy surrounding it.  The large black and white landscape portraits and the family photos are captivating.  Another photographer that interested me was Jerry Uelsmann; he was noted as the forerunner of the photomontage process. His photo montage techniques yielded incredibly interesting images. Learning about the history of photography and different photographers has helped me develop a greater appreciation of the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment