Thursday, June 12, 2014

Memorable Experience

The most memorable experience from this semester was creating the Who am I video. I really enjoyed crafting a film which showcased photographs that I've taken in a creative way.  While creating the Who am I film helped to develop my skills working with the iMovie program, I learned about video making in general. Rather than putting together a slideshow of various pictures, I needed to incorporate creative techniques such as interesting transitions, audio affects, and short video to captivate an audience. I did not actually have to take any new photographs in the process of putting the film together, but I had to evaluate my previous photographs and decide which ones I wanted to show in order to communicate a message. While looking at photos I further explored what makes an image captivating to an audience; instead of showing a straight-on shot of the duomo in Florence, I decided to show the spectacular panorama view from above. This helped to communicate the beauty of travel and discovery more so than just pictures of various buildings would. Photos that are well composed make a viewer want to watch the video more than blurry or simple snap shots would. In order to create a strong film I had to decide which compositions were the best. I scrapped the traditional shots and used the photos which utilized techniques such as the rule of thirds, different perspective, and repeating patterns.  By assessing my previous work in such a way, I am more informed to take effective photographs in the future which utilize these creative techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment